WordPress follows the Open Source policy of release early, release often. While this is a pretty good thing – you get fast releases to security exploits and loads of new features – but updating can be a rather problem, especially so if its something as important as your site’s CMS.
Fortunately Keith D’Souza has written a VERY NEAT plugin – WordPress Automatic Upgrade Plugin which makes it a painless affair to upgrade your WordPress installation. WordPress Automatic Upgrade updates WordPress installation in a step by step manner.
- If your WordPress installation is dated, then a message prompting you to update your installation.
- On clicking Upgrade, you are prompted to backup the existing installation files(or skip it).
- Next, you are prompted to backup the database(or again, skip it)
- Next, the plugin automatically fetches the newest version of WordPress via ftp from WordPress.org
- Your blog goes into maintenance mode
- De-activates all active plugins and remembers it.
- WordPress files are upgraded.
- Gives you a link that will open in a new window to upgrade installation.
- Re-activates the plugins, and puts your blog out of maintanance mode.