12 thoughts on “[How to] Tackling Screen Resolution Problems in Linux

1. Reply Aditya Oct 26,2008 4:59 pm

Man! This is complicated business. Luckily I haven’t had such problems with Ubuntu Hardy on my laptop yet. But then, I don’t have an NVIDIA graphics card. I have however faced several problems with openSuSE and Fedora on my desktop. I have a 26 inch screen and I keep getting an 800×600 resolution with the on-board graphics card, while I need a resolution of 1360×768. I haven’t managed to fix these issues yet- although I have killed X several times trying. In fact, even XP won’t give anything better than 1024×768. Any insights?

2. Reply WeSam Abdallah Dec 7,2009 7:45 am

I tried your solution. I wan’t able to interpret the HEX for the bin file. I wasn’t able to find the 77 codes. I also tried to search for the resolution HEX codes. It seams as if Nvidia encodes the file differently now. It doesn’t seem as simple as HEX DEC resolution conversion. :( Am I correct ? NVIDIA Sucks, they should provide a way in their GUI for custom resolution. It sucks cause I am stuck with windows for now.
    Is there another way to edit EDID files ?

3. Reply Bharath Ram Dec 11,2009 12:49 pm

I dont know beyond this…….
    However nvidia-settings has an option for custom resolution and ubuntu karmic has no probs afaik except the ones about which i made a new post…..

4. Reply Notorik Jan 9,2010 9:43 am

I have a new Acer widescreen monitor with a 1366 X 768 screen resolution. I have not been able to get an acceptable looking setup with either Windows XP or Linux. I have tried Ubuntu, Xubuntu, Mandriva, Mepis, Mint, Debian, Vector, ect, ect. The only one that has worked is Puppy Linux. I am using it right now.

• Reply Bharath Jan 9,2010 10:09 am

What brand and model is ur graphics card?? and did u install any proprietary drivers?? and wat do u mean by “acceptable” screen resolution??

• Reply Notorik Jan 18,2010 12:41 pm

My graphics card is ATI Technologies Inc. 3D Rage Pro 100. By “acceptable” screen resolution, I mean just having a screen that doesn’t look stretched out with font I can read. With Ubuntu, there were no proprietary drivers available for this card that I could find. Now I have a friend who has an Nvidia card and his screen looks great. The monitor I am using is an Acer X183H, resolution 1366 X 768.

• Reply Bharath Ram Jan 18,2010 8:42 pm

U see am not able to suggest anything beyond proprietary drivers for ati. try downloading linux drivers from ati website and i dont think jockey would say “no proprietary drivers found”. Mention the screen resolution u need and someone may suggest something.

5. Reply sam Apr 18,2010 4:19 am

i was able to get a edid.bin file created with the resolution i was after. I havent tried it yet, but i was wondering if i could use this same method to change the offset, by that i mean correct the overscan on my lcd monitor. Could i just plug in the h2, h3 and v2, v3 values like i just did for h1 and v1 and edit the file? Ill go ahead and try soon.
    thanks for the lesson

6. Reply Ben May 11,2010 11:17 pm

Thank you for the excellent post. I install Ubuntu on older P-IVs and P-IIIs and am very disappointed in the new Ubuntu release. It’s not unusual to have to tinker with video to get Ubuntu working on these older machines. Now with Ubuntu 10.04 it’s become significantly harder to achieve success. At least your post gives me the information I need. Thanks.

7. Reply Per Jul 24,2010 3:57 pm

i use a geforce 7950gt card ubuntu 10.04 and a 32″ lcd TV (noname) DVI cenction, I tryet thes solution but all i get is a reseluton of 640×480 and it rifuses to go any higer, if i just put in a modline (not useing thes solution) im abel to get ubuntu to run at 1280×720, in windows 7 i run at 1366×768 (native reselution of my 32″ tv) whet just a modified monitor.inf no problem at all

8. Reply Peksu Sep 30,2012 1:03 pm

I changed 1360×768 to 1920×1080, it also changed the vfreq from 60 to 32! ( calculated from pixel freq i think) I doubt this wil work, need to change vfreq also back to 60 for this work. How to do that?. Thanks for your post though.

9. Reply Debuser Oct 2,2015 2:46 pm

I want to write a custom modeline for a 1366×768 monitor. unfortunately, 1368×768 is the resolution most modeline generators creates. Acquire EDID from nvidia-settings also not working. Here’s the detailed issue: