[How-To]Send SMS from your Linux computer via your Mobile Phone 10

While exploring Fedora 10 Beta, I found this neat little app called Phone Manager.

The about page of PhoneManager states

Phone Manager is a program created to allow you to control aspects of your mobile phone from your GNOME 2 desktop..

The about page does seem ambitious, somewhat like gammu/Wammu but so far only SMS(text messaging) send/receive feature has been implemented, its been done so very nicely!

PhoneManager sits unobtrusively in the Gnome panel, running in the background. When a you have received a new text/SMS message a popup appears on your screen showing the message and the number of the person who sent the message.

For contacts and address book, PhoneManager integrates very nicely with Evolution. If you want to send an SMS or text message, just click on the PhoneManager icon (which is… a mobile phone!) and a screen as shown below pops up, where you can type the message. Enter the name of the receipient, and Phone Manager will suggest the names and number of the person. Simplicity at its best!

Sending SMS using phone manager
Unfortunately PhoneManager doesn’t show the name of the person for a received message, even if the number exists in Contacts. Maybe this will be included in future releases.

composing sms

PhoneManager can communicate with your mobile phone over Bluetooth, IrDA(infra red) or via any of the ports.

This is a highly recommended app!

Installation: Phone Manager comes with Fedora 10 [don’t know about previous versions].

To install in Fedora – open the terminal and type

yum -y install gnome-phone-manager

or just search for PhoneManager in Add/Remove programs.

To install PhoneManager in Ubuntu open Terminal and type

apt-get install gnome-phone-manager

or just search for PhoneManager in Add/Remove programs.

PhoneManager was originally developed by Edd Dumbill, and is currently maintained by Bastien Nocera.

If you enjoyed this post, make sure you subscribe to my RSS feed!

10 thoughts on “[How-To]Send SMS from your Linux computer via your Mobile Phone

1. Reply Karthiksn Oct 18,2008 1:14 pm

This is definitely the sexiest app I have seen. I mean its a bliss to guys like me who got free messages. :P

2. Reply Kunal Oct 18,2008 5:39 pm

woa this is super kewl…

for a n00b reading this some qtns would be
    1) do i have to connect my phone to the computer?
    2) how do i if i have too?
    3) what cable do i need?

i hope u add these points up…

3. Reply Sathya Oct 18,2008 9:04 pm

@Kunal, Karthik Yup, I was amazed by this little app!
    @Kunal
    1. yes you have to connect :) it need not be wired connection, if your computer and phone both have Bluetooth, then there’s nothing quite like it, you just have to choose the Connect option, and search for your BT device, there will be a prompt for entering the PIN and that’s it! you’re done!
    If its a wired connection, if its a cable which connects to your USB port, then generally the port will be /dev/ttyUSB0
    If its a serial cable, it will be /dev/ttyS0

4. Reply Yemi Jan 29,2009 4:43 am

Is it free to send from your computer using this system?

5. Reply Harvey Morris Jun 10,2010 11:24 pm

I am always on the lookout for new models of Nokia phone and also iPhone.”`.

6. Reply Toby Simpson Jul 26,2010 10:20 pm

Nokia always makes the coolest mobile phone.’*”

7. Reply ngage Dec 31,2010 1:09 am

First-class post, thanks for collating the information. I have been searching google and yahoo for information similar to this and it led me to your blog! :-)

8. Reply Alfred Sep 8,2011 12:41 am

This is extremely exciting, You’re an excessively professional blogger. I’ve signed up with your rss and turn up for seeking more of your terrific posting. Also, I’ve got shared your blog in my social networks!

9. Reply elektronikabersama Sep 12,2011 3:41 pm

gnome-phone-manager had installed in my Ubuntu, this package is work, but to send sms message is not done. Is there any configuration?